The Fort that Became a City: An Illustrated Reconstruction of Fort Worth, Texas, 1849-1853
TCU Press, 1995 - 197 Seiten
Before cattle drives, Alliance Airport, oil production and defense industries, Fort Worth was home to the United States Army's Second Dragoons. They came in 1849 (and left less than four years later) and occupied the last outpost between the Brazos River and the Red River. They were followed to the banks of the Trinity by other elements of the army, forming the first U.S. military presence in North Texas. They were there to protect lands to the north and to the west, Indian lands coveted by the white men but controlled by the Comanche and Kiowa.
Was andere dazu sagen - Rezension schreiben
Es wurden keine Rezensionen gefunden.
1st Session 32nd Congress 34th Congress Adjutant Adjutant General's Office August Austin barracks Belknap bluff Brazos Brevet buildings cabin Civil civilian Comanches Company F Crimmins Cross Timbers Daggett David Twiggs duty Eighth Infantry Eighth Military Department enlisted Farrar Forts Forts of Texas Freeman FWPL garrison Graham Harney History Horse Soldier horses Indian January John Bold Johnson's Station June land Letters Received located Major Arnold Merrill Mexican miles months Muster Rolls North Texas October Post Returns Quartermaster quarters rangers Records regiment Registers of Letters Report of Inspection Report of Whiting's Ripley Arnold Samuel Starr San Antonio Second Dragoons Selcer Senate Executive Document September settlers sick soldiers Starr Papers supply surgeon sutlers SWHQ Tarrant County Tarrant County Scrapbook Tate Johnson TCHC Texas frontier Thomas Jesup Trinity River troopers troops Twiggs U.S. Army vertical files Washington Whiting's Reconnaissance William Jenkins Worth WTHAYB