« ZurückWeiter »
HOME AND COLONIAL LIBRARY. Complete in 70 Parts.
Post 8vo, 23. 6d. each, or bound in 34 Volumes, cloth.
CONTENTS OF THE SERIES.
THE BIBLE IN SPAIN. By GEORGE BORROW.
HUME (TAE STUDENTS). A History of England, from the In
vasion of Julius Cæsar. By David HUME; abridged and continued to the Present Time. Woodcuts. Post 8vo. 78. 6d. (Uniform with
The Student's Gibbon.) HUTCHINSON (COLONEL) on Dog-Breaking; the most expe
ditious, certain, and easy Method, whether great Excellence or only Mediocrity be required. Third Edition. Revised and enlarged. Woodcuts.
Post 8vo. 9s. IRBY AND MANGLES' Travels in Egypt, Nubia, Syria, and
the Holy Land, including a Journey round the Dead Sea, and through
the Country east of the Jordan. Post 8vo. 28. 6d. JAMES' (Rev. THOMAS) Fables of Æsop. A New Translation, with
cal Preface. With 100 Woodcuts by TENNIEL and WOLF.
Twenty-sixth Thousand. Post 8vo. 28. 6d. JAMESON'S (Mrs.) Memoirs of the Early Italian Painters, and
of the Progress of Italian Painting in Italy. Tenth Edition. With
70 Woodcuts. Fcap. 8yo. 6s. JAPAN AND THE JAPANESE. Described from the Accounts
of Recent Dutch Travellers. New Edition. Post 8vo. 6s. JARDINE'S (DAVID) Narrative of the Gunpowder Plot. New
Edition. Post 8vo. 7s.6d. JERVIS'S (CAPr.) Manual of Operations in the Field, for the Use of
Officers. Post 8vo. 98. 6d. JESSE'S (EDWARD) Favorite Haunts and Rural Studies; or Visits
to Spots of Interest in the Vicinity of Windsor and Eton. Woodcuts. Post 8vo. 12s.
Scenes and Occupations of Country Life. With Recollections of Natural History. Third Edition. Woodcuts. Fcap. 8vo. 6s. - Gleanings in Natural History. With Anecdotes of the
Sagacity and Instinct of Animals. Eighth Edition. Fcap. 8vo. 6s. JOHNSON'S (DR. SAMUEL) Life: By James Boswell. Including
the Tour to the Hebrides, with Notes by SIR W. SCOTT. Edited by the late MR. CROKER. Third Edition. Portraits. Royal 8vo. 158.
- Lives of the most eminent English Poets. A New Edition. Edited by PETER CUNNINGHAM. 3 vols. 8vo. 223. 6d.
(Murray's British Classics.) JOHNSTON'S (WM.) England as it is : Social, Political, and
Industrial, in the Middle of the 19th Century. 2 Vols. Post 8vo. 188. JOURNAL OF A NATURALIST. Fourth Edition. ' Woodcuts.
Post 8vo. 9s. 60. JOWETT'S (Rev. B.) Commentary on St. Paul's Epistles to the
Thessalonians, Galatians, and Romans. With Notes and Dissertations.
Second Edition. 2 Vols. 8vo. KEN'S (BISHOP) Life. By A LAYMAN. Second Edition. Portrait. 2 Vols. 8vo. 18s.
KEN'S (Bishop) Exposition of the Apostles' Creed. Extracted
from his "Practice of Divine Love." New Edition. Fcap. ls.6d.
18. 60. KING'S (Rev. S. W.) Italian Valleys of the Alps ; a Tour
through all the Romantic and less-frequented “ Vals" of Northern Piedmont, from the Tarentaise to the Gries. With Illustrations. Crown
8vo. 188. KING EDWARD VITA's Latin Grammar; or, an Introduction to the Latin Tongue, for the Use of Schools. 12th Edition. 12mo. 38. 6d.
- First Latin Book; or, the Accidence, Syntax and Prosody, with an English Translation for the Use of Junior
Classes. Third Edition. 12mo. 28. KNAPP'S (J. A.) English Roots and Ramifications; or, the
Derivation and Meaning of Divers Words. Fcap. 8vo. 48. KUGLER'S (Dr. FRANZ) Handbook to the History of Painting
(the Italian Schools). Translated from the German. Edited, with Notes, by SIR CHARLES EASTLAKE. Third Edition. Woodcuts. 2 Vols. Post Svo. 305.
- (the German, Dutch, and Flemish Schools). Translated from the German. A New Edition. Edited, with Notes. By DR. WAAGEN.· Woodcuts. Post 8vo. Nearly
Ready. LABARTE'S (M. JULES) Handbook of the Arts of the Middle Ages
and Renaissance. With 200 Woodcuts. 8vo. 188. . LABORDE'S (LEON DE) Journey through Arabia Petræa, to Mount
Sinai, and the Excavated City of Petræa,—the Edom of the Prophecies.
Second Edition. With Plates. 8vo. 188. LANE'S (E. W.) Arabian Nights. Translated from the Arabic,
with Explanatory Notes. A New Edition. Edited by E. STANLEY
POOLE. With 600 Woodcuts. 3 Vols. 8vo. 428.
of Schools. Twelfth Edition. 12mo. 35.6d.
Third Edition. 12mo. 2s.
rative of Researches and Discoveries amidst the Ruins of Assyria. With an Account of the Chaldean Christians of Kurdistan; the Yezedis, or Devil-worshippers; and an Enquiry into the Manners and Arts of the Ancient Assyrians. Sixth Edition. Plates and Woodcuts. 2 Vols. 8vo. 368.
- Nineveh and Babylon ; being the Result of a Second Expedition to Assyria. Fourteenth Thousand. Plates, Svo. 218. Or Fine Paper, 2 Vols. 8vo. 30s.
- Popular Account of Nineveh. 15th Edition. With
Woodcuts. Post 8vo. 55. LESLIE'S (C. R.) Handbook for Young Painters. With Illustra
tions. Post 8vo. 108. 6d.
- Life of Sir Joshua Reynolds. With an Account of his Works, and a Sketch of his Cotemporaries. Fcap. 4to. In the Press.
LEAKE'S (Col. W. Martin) Topography of Athens, with Remarks
on its Antiquities; to which is added, the Demi of Attica. Second Edition. Plates. 2 Vols. 8vo. 308.
Travels in Northern Greece. Maps. 4 Vols. 8vo. 608. - Disputed Questions of Ancient Geography. Map. 8vo. 6s.6d. - Numismata Hellenica. A Catalogue of Greek Coins. With Map and Appendix. 4to. 638. - Peloponnesiaca : A Supplement to Travels in the Morea. 8vo. 158.
- Thoughts on the Degradation of Science in England.
8vo. 38.6d. LETTERS FROM THE SHORES OF THE BALTIC. By a LADY. Post 8vo. 28. 6d.
- Madras; or, First Impressions of Life and Manners in India. By a Lady. Post 8vo. 28. 6d.
- Sierra Leone, written to Friends at Home. By a Lady. Edited by Mrs. NORTON. Post 8vo. 6s.
- Head Quarters; or, The Realities of the War in the Crimea. By a STAFF OFFICER. Popular Edition. Plans.
Post 8vo. 68. LEXINGTON (TAE) PAPERS; or, Some Account of the Courts
of London and Vienna at the end of the 17th Century. Edited by Hon.
H. MANNERS SUTTON. 8vo. 14s.
West Indies. Post 8vo. 2s. 6d.
to the Establishment of the Empire. With the History of Literature and Art. Library Edition. 2 Vols. 8vo. 288.
SCHOOL HISTORY OF ROME. Abridged from the Larger Work. Eighth Thousand. With 100 Woodcuts. Post 8vo.
7s.6d. [Uniform with Dr. WM. SMITH'S HISTORY OF GREECE). LINDSAY'S (LORD) Lives of the Lindsays; or, a Memoir of the
Houses of Crawford and Palcarres. With Extracts from Official Papers and Personal Narratives. Second Edition. 3 Vols. 8vo. 24s.
- Report of the Claim of James, Earl of Crawfurd and Balcarres, to the Original Dukedom of Montrose, created in 1488.
Folio. 168. LITTLE ARTHUR'S HISTORY OF ENGLAND. By LADY
CALLCOTT. Eighteenth Edition. With 20 Woodcuts. Fcap. 8vo. 28. 6d.
LIVINGSTONE'S (REV. DR.) Missionary Travels and Researches
in South Africa'; including a Sketch of Sixteen Years' Residence in the Interior of Africa, and a Journey from the Cape of Good Hope to Loanda on the West Coast; thence across the Continent, down the River Zambesi, to the Eastern Ocean. Thirtieth Thousand. Map,
Plates, and Index, 8vo. 218. LIVONIAN TALES.-The Disponent. The Wolves. The Jewess.
By the Author of "Letters from the Baltic.” Post 8vo. 28. 6d. LOCKHART'S (J. G.) Ancient Spanish Ballads. Historical and
Romantic. Translated, with Notes. Illustrated Edition. 4to. 21s. Or,
- Life of Robert Burns. Fifth Edition. Fcap. 8vo. 38. LOUDON'S (Mrs.) Instructions in Gardening for Ladies. With
Directions and Calendar of Operations for Every Month. Eighth
Natural System of Plants. Second Edition. Woodcuts. Fcap. 8vo. 6s. LOWE’S (SIR HUDSON) Letters and Journals, during the Captivity
of Napoleon at St. Helena. By WILLIAM FORSYTH. Portrait. 3 Vols.
8vo. 458. LUCKNOW: A Lady's Diary of the Siege. Written for Friends
at Home. Fourth Thousand. Fcap. 8vo. 48. 6d. LYELL'S (SIR CHARLES) Principles of Geology; or, the Modern
Changes of the Earth and its Inhabitants considered as illustrative of
- Manual of Elementary Geology; or, the Ancient Changes
- Visits to the United States, 1841.46. Second Edition. ·
Plates. 4 Vols. Post 8vo. 245. MAHON'S (LORD) History of England, from the Peace of Utrecht to the Peace of Versailles, 1713–83. Library Edition. 7 Vols. 8vo. 938.
Popular Edition. 7 Vols. Post 8vo. 358.
--- "Forty-Five ;” a Narrative of the Rebellion in Scotland. Post 8vo. 38.
- The Rise of our Indian Empire. Being the History of British India from its Origin till the Peace of 1783. Extracted from his “ History of England.” Post 8vo. 3s. 6d.
- History of the War of the Succession in Spain. Second Edition. Map. 8vo. 158.
- Spain under Charles the Second ; or, Extracts from the Correspondence of the Hon. ALEXANDER STANHOPE, British Minister at Madrid from 1690 to 1700. Second Edition. Post 8vo. 68. 6d.
- Life of Louis Prince of Condé, surnamed the Great. Post 8vo. 68.
Life of Belisarius. Second Edition. Post 8vo. 108. 6d.
Story of Joan of Arc. Fcap. 8vo. 18.