Abbildungen der Seite

existed in providing for the Cumberland Circuit, and it was decided to leave it without a preacher for the present. Under these circumstances Henry Birchett, wan and pale, asked the privilege of supplying it. He turned to Bishop Asbury and said: “Here am I; send me!" His brethren remonstrated against his going. Two hundred miles lay between the seat of the Conference and this distant field ; the life of the traveler was every hour imperiled by the Indians; the small-pox was prevailing through all the country; and his health was already wrecked by labor and exposure. Every influence that could be, was brought to bear upon him to dissuade him from his purpose; but in vain. To all their arguments and remonstrances he replied: “If I perish, who can doubt of my eternal rest, or fail to say, 'Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his '?" He entered upon his work soon after the adjournment of the Conference, and with commendable zeal pushed forward the victories of the cross, though in feeble health, until the summer and autumn had passed away, when he was compelled to cease his labors. James Hoggatt, a gentleman of wealth and of liberality, residing two miles west of Nashville, invited the weary and way-worn itinerant to the hospitalities of his home. There he remained, visited by friends who loved him—the recipient of every kind attention-until, in the month of February, 1794, he breathed his last, in hope of eternal life.

“ James Haw asked him, in the time of his last illness, if he had any temptations. He replied he

[ocr errors]


had, for he had too much anxiety to die; 'but, glory to God!' he said, 'I am resigned to the will of my Master.

Another person standing by discovered the blood settling under his nails, and told him the Master had come. He replied, 'I am glad of it,' and began crying, "Glory, glory to God!' until his hands fell upon his breast, and he expired in peace." *

At his own request, he was wrapped in white flannel and committed to the silent grave.

No man had been connected with the ministry for so short a time, to whom the Church and his fellow-laborers in the work were more ardently attached. He was, perhaps, the best pastor in the West. He regarded the children as the future hope of the Church, and improved every opportunity that offered in their catechetical instruction, so that by the children he was remembered with affection long after he had entered into rest.

The printed Minutes say: “He was one among the worthies who freely left safety, ease, and prosperity, to seek after and suffer faithfully for souls.”

Notwithstanding the zealous efforts that had been made to promote the cause of religion, the net increase for this year was only eleven members. There had, however, been a sifting throughout the Churches, and the most of them were in a more healthy condition than they were the previous year.

* Rev. Learner Blackman.



OF 1796.

Gen. Anthony Wayne-Gen. St. Clair-His expedition against the

Indians unsuccessful—The campaign of 1794—The battle near the rapids of the Miami—Gen. Wayne's victory complete—The Indian war brought to a successful termination—Treaty of peace concluded— The Conference of 1794John Metcalf—Thomas Scott Peter Guthrie-Tobias Gibson-Moses Speer-Conference of 1795 -William Duzan--John Buxton-Aquila Sugg-Francis Acuff: his death-Thomas Wilkerson-Decrease in membership.

In the year 1792, Gen. Anthony Wayne, an officer of distinction in the United States service, was appointed by President Washington as successor to Gen. St. Clair, in the command of the army engaged against the Indians on the Western frontier. The depredations of the Indians upon Kentucky were not only incessant, but most disastrous to the safety of the people, as well as to the prospects of the Commonwealth. The efforts that had hitherto been made to secure the State against these incursions, had proved ineffectual. The expedition of Gen. St. Clair, a short time previous, had been not only unsuccessful, but calamitous. In the summer and autumn of 1793, Gen. Wayne began to make preparations for another campaign. The season, however, was too far advanced for active operations, and the invasion of the country of the hostile tribes was postponed until the following year. Before marching into the enemy's country that gallant officer made one more attempt to obtain peace, which, however, failed.

“On the morning of the 20th of August, 1794, he marched into the heart of the hostile country, and attacked the Indians in a formidable position which they occupied, near the rapids of the Miami.” The victory was complete. The Indians

. were thoroughly defeated, and the war was brought to a successful termination; and in 1795, he concluded a definite treaty of peace, which was observed until the war of 1812.*

The Conference of 1794 met at Lewis's Chapel, in the Lexington Circuit. We find upon the Minutes of this year the names of three preachers who had not previously appeared in Kentucky: John Metcalf, Thomas Scott, and Peter Guthrie.

John Metcalf was admitted into the itinerancy in 1790. He had traveled four years before he came to Kentucky, three of which were spent in Virginia, and one in North Carolina. In 1794, he was transferred from the Virginia Conference to the work in Kentucky, and was stationed on the Lexington Circuit. We have no means at present of ascertaining whether or not he was successful on this circuit. The printed Minutes show a considerable decrease on the Lexington Circuit, yet this may be the result of change in the territorial limits of the several pastoral charges in the State. After this his name disappears from the Minutes. We learn from Mr. Burke that he subsequently became Principal of Bethel Academy—the immediate successor of Valentine Cook.

* Collins's Kentucky.

Thomas Scott, who this year was transferred from the Baltimore Conference to Kentucky, deserves more than a passing notice. He was born in Alleghany county, Maryland, October 31, 1772. In the fourteenth year of his age he was soundly converted, and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church. Before he was seventeen years old he was received on trial into the Conference, and appointed to Gloucester Circuit; the subsequent year he was the junior preacher on Berkeley Circuit; and in 1791, we find him in charge of Stafford Circuit-all lying in the State of Virginia. In 1792, he traveled the Frederick Circuit, in Maryland; and the following year he was sent to the Ohio Circuit, a field of labor of great extent, stretching along the frontier settlements of the Ohio River in western Pennsylvania and Virginia. In the spring of 1794, he descended the Ohio River, to join the band of itinerants in Kentucky, and was present at the Conference which convened on the 15th day of April.

He embarked on a flat-boat at Wheeling, laden with provisions for Gen. Wayne's army, and landed where Maysville now stands. He was appointed to the Danville Circuit, on which, William Burke informs us, there was an extensive revival of religion. At the Conference of 1795, he located; but, in 1796, at the request of the Rev. Francis Poythress,

« ZurückWeiter »