« ZurückWeiter »
points out the coming of the Messiah, ought it not to be as exact as the prophet has declared it? but here we find the contrary; for there is a difference of thirty seven years: therefore Jesus could not be the Messiah.
Again ; if the seventy weeks is the only passage to be found that points out the coming of the Messiah, * why did not one of the apostles quote it as a clear proof to convince the people by it? but we do not find that either Paul or any other brought forward this passage ; therefore they could not have thought of such a thing; for they knew that it had no reference at all to the Messiah, and on this account did not quote it.
* We also read in this verse, that “the Messiah shall be cut off, but not for himself :" this is not true, for no such thing is to be found in the Hebrew text, for the text has it ve-en lo, which signifies, " and not to him ;” that is to say, that the Messiah, which means the king, shall be cut off in the last week; “ and not to him ;" i. e. he shall have no successor ; by which is pointed out, that there shall be no more kingly power in the Jewish nation. * And this Messiah that was to be cut off was king Agrippa ; and so it happened, that in the last week he and his son Monves were slain by the order of Titus.
Perhaps some people will ask, How came he to be called a Messiah: I have already shewn that a prophet, a high-priest, and a king, are called by the name of Messiah ; also every one that is called a king is called a Messiah. Now Cyrus, who was a heathen king, is called a Messiah : (see page
13; hor nad more LTE TO Tis ct the stuck of Abrazaz az ezera krael
* Thcs far I bare er. Bere that tie bcle detence of the pecçie that r. trai tie Messiah is curre already, is to detezce, because it proves Dothing : * and therefore tie cette cite les siah until this car is to Down, and kersey is only known to God, and was CETE cid to any of the prophets. “For the day of recgcance is in mine heart, and the rear of my redeemed is cruce." Isaiah kiü. 4. Learn now from this passage that the coming of the Messiah was never revealed to mankind. Again; “ And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for erer, that it shall be for a time, times, and a half; and, when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished. And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things? And he said, Go thy way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." Dan. xii. 7–9. Here it may be observed, that Daniel was longing to know the coming of the Messiah, but could not obtain it.
* THE MESSIAH IS NOT YET COMB.-We must look upon this world as divided into three periods. The first was during the residence of Adam and Eve in paradise, and before they fell. The second period began, when Adam was driven out from paradise, and continued until the coming of the Messiah. The third or last period will commence by the coming of the Messiah.
The first part was perfect. The middle part was imperfect. · * The third part will restore the first perfection, and so continue for evermore.
In the first, man was perfect, that is, without sin; then he was an angel ; for angels in heaven sin not, and where there is no sin, there is no death : by this we may learn that man was born to live for ever, because a perfect God created a perfect man; and, as God lives for ever, such was to be the nature of man : and so it was, because the proper habitation of man was paradise, and there he was to live for ever, he and his seed after him. We also know from scripture that paradise is upon earth, for we read in Genesis ii. 10, “ And a river went out of Eden to water the garden ; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads : and the names of these rivers are well known to the world. Now, when heaven and earth, and all the host of them were finished, then man and angels were both alike; heaven and earth were both alike, for the one was as holy as the other; nay, the degree of man was above the angels, for his wisdom was above theirs ; * the angels could give no names to all living creatures, but Adam did, and until this day they bear the names which Adam gave them.
them. Now one of the angels became jealous of the glory of man ; this was Satan, who was at that time a very great angel in heaven ; he rebelled against his Lord, descended upon earth, disguised himself in the figure of a serpent, succeeded according to his
[ "an. Here er na eenme riser3 3806-2 Jpearance of his
"PELEO :) se ind
2017 ne vien per te me CS Tere res lis
11:D: :00 ve SLOW site de CO2 sin, tey n** 12.
20 are • diare. ing wil 581 nije
- I L'ISRI. Leording to 15:seln evri. UT Uwonger.
ja parril Or truert te middle por volta ned. De pesca na 'ingouly pro !
2:08 to have urice mar eariy be pun hat he liessan 3 100 EC Due: for the porad 111357 tist ni orunt ace is ousand f* md te 11estinn star 'ise would his orrning - 3nt. then this numer sail be at mund. nearls at an ad. he will be che time nog nice arming: and 12 Til ummence the chird gonda, ses prosperitet tie vav soru, vaich wil be allad the ord of the Viessan.
* TA V SRLD-ril commence by the hre* ansrmce of the lossian : che vorid will be traktoride to its former giory, a new bearen and a Mun barrio ho will wear ; the iconic w pass away; mantind will recover their primitire ciory. * and
1 by ghere the angels; Satan and his band will From iterst perged. The seventh day of the creation 77594 the ambitwath, and that day only received a Hilesinin art was set, apart for ever to be observed
as a holy day; which was a type of the great sabbath, i. e. the world of the Messiah, which also will be called the blessed world.
* The MessiAH IS NOT YET COME.-We are assured by the prophet Isaiah, lix. 20, 21, that as long as Israel is dispersed abroad, the Messiah is not come: for by his coming the sin of Israel will be blotted out: and this prophetical declaration is confirmed by the apostle Paul ; “ And so all Israel shall be saved ; as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: for this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.” Romans xi. 26, 27. First must be considered the term, “For this is my covenant.” What is that covenant? To send them “ the deliverer.” For what ? " to take away their sins.” Here it must be acknowledged by every one, that when the Messiah shall come the sin of Israel will be taken away; and here is a clear proof that, as long as Israel is scattered, their sin is not taken away, and their continuance in their sins affords an evidence that the Messiah is not yet come.
* That the MESSIAH is Not yet come, may be confirmed by scripture : “ And I will make your cities waste, and bring your temples into desolation.—And I will scatter you among the heathen; and the land of your enemies shall eat you up. And they that are left of you shall pine away in their iniquity in your enemies' lands; and also in the iniquities of their fathers shall they pine away with them. And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them